Monday, September 12, 2011

Back in the saddle

So after an incredibly complicated and stressful six weeks, I was finally able to get out with my macro lens.  We were in Fort Bragg (Mendocino County) for the Labor Day weekend and while the weather didn't cooperate from a vacation perspective, it was almost perfect for photography: cool and overcast.  We stayed at the Grey Whale Inn (highly recommended), in the Point Cabrillo Room.  Good breakfast, great coffee and a very nice house cat named Sweet Pea.

I was able to get out into the garden of the inn on the afternoon that we arrived.  It's a combination flower-vegetable garden, with bits and pieces of sculpture scattered in various places. 


Late summer in a vegetable garden doesn't often yield interesting results, especially if it's been raining, but I was able to find a few odds and ends.







There were also edible and non-edible flowers and plants, and some sunflowers that looked like they were on their last legs, but beautiful, nonetheless.



It felt really good to get behind a camera again, and now I just need a little more practice.  Anyone want to go for a walk with me?

2 comments:

  1. love the artichoke! I'm glad that you got to spend some quality time with your camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first sunflower is my favorite, I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete