Thursday, June 9, 2011

Then and now

On Facebook this morning, the San Diego Zoo, of which I am a fan, asked, somewhat rhetorically, which is the most photogenic animal at the zoo.  Yes! I said, I can answer this one, having been to the zoo at least three or four times and taking my camera with me each time.

So the last time we went to the zoo was in September, 2010, and before that, in November, 2009.  On one of those trips, I don't remember which one, we sprung for a behind-the-scenes tour, which got us a golf cart and a guide from the education department.  We met a tiger behind the fence, we gave snacks to the llamas and the dromedaries, we played soccer with a mustang, and we got to feed Silver, the giraffe, all of which I dutifully captured on my little Olympus point-and-shoot camera.


Fast forward to April of this year, when the whole family went on an excursion to Safari West, a huge ranch in Sonoma County with hundreds of animals and birds that you can actually interact with.  Now, April, being after January on the calendar, meant that I had entered my new life as a DSLR photographer-person.  It also meant that I had discovered one of the best Canon lenses of all time, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens.  A-mazing glass!  I rented one for this excursion.  This is Bulldozer, one of the giraffes at Safari West.


Think there's a difference? 

2 comments: